According to the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, remote work productivity can suffer by up to 18%. This is primarily due to poor ergonomics and discomfort associated with "kitchen table & laptop" setups. Over time, these issues worsen and can cause various physical problems.
To counteract these challenges and optimise productivity, implementing the right home office setup is essential. Employers should ideally provide the following furniture set:
2. Adjustable Desk: Opt for a desk with a stomach recess and elbow pads to relax the shoulders and arms.
3. Ultrawide Monitor: Set the monitor at the correct height and distance to avoid strain and improper posture.
4. Optimised Lighting: Ensure proper lighting in the workspace. Consider using a bright light lamp during dark hours to enhance vitality and regulate the body's circadian rhythm.
Additionally, adopting certain practices can further enhance remote work wellbeing and productivity. Encourage employees to:
- Wear loose and breathable clothing around the hips.
- Incorporate regular movements and exercises throughout the workday.
- Maintain stable blood sugar levels by avoiding fast carbohydrates.
- Promote active intestinal function and prioritise a diet rich in fiber and essential nutrients.
- Consider the potential benefits of supplements, such as Omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, copper, selenium, magnesium, vitamin D, vitamin C, and vitamin E.
By prioritising ergonomic considerations and employee wellbeing, organisations can optimise remote work productivity and create a healthier work environment.